ON DEMAND: Small Business, Big Impact: Conversations with Sterile Processing Technicians in Business
Small Business, Big Impact: Conversations
HSPA 1.25 CE
Interview 1: Jamie Terran and Selendra Brown
Topic: Starting a Content Sharing Platform and NonProfit organization
- Discuss how to make an impact on your Community.
- Understand how to step out of the box and do a thing you don’t know how to do.
- Learn how to get support for education, even when you can’t afford it.
Interview 2: Jamie Terran and Dannie O. Smith
Topic: How Attending a Conference Can Launch a New Phase In Your Career
- Learn how to use the skills you already have to improve your field.
- Discuss how to become more involved in your local professional organizations.
Interview 3: Jamie Terran and Melanie Perry
Topic: How To Start a Blog to Share Your Experiences and Build a Community
- Learn how you can start a blog to share your experiences and connect with people in your field with similar experiences
- Why it matters to have a community of people in your field.
Interview 4: Jamie Terran and Johanne Benoit
Topic: Balancing Entrepreneurship and Working as a Tech: Variety at Work
- Discuss Sterile Processing Entrepreneurship in Dentistry.
- Talk about the SP Hosted Clubhouse Community and the impact it makes
Interview 5: Jamie Terran and Jhmeid Billingslea
Topic: Transitioning from being a technician to working for a company
- Discuss how and why you might want to work for a company rather than a healthcare facility
- Discuss the challenges healthcare facilities commonly face, which consultants help to correct.
How to Navigate the Perils of Switching Products
We all have experiences in our professional and personal lives when we have had to navigate switching brands and products. Perhaps your manager announced they are changing the gloves you use in decontamination this week. Or your favorite sterilization wrap is no longer on contract with your facility, and now you have a decision to make. For some people, the idea of new and different is exciting. For others, change is always seen as a bad thing — even if there are good results from the change. This presentation will provide frontline users and department leaders insight into how to think, act, and react to change and prepare your team to manage the perils and potentials of switching products.
- Discuss the common reasons brand & product changes happen in the healthcare setting.
- Describe reactions staff and internal customers may have to product changes.
- Discuss a roadmap for successfully executing product changes.
Hope is not a strategy, but where do we start? It is time to create a professional foundation to help Sterile Processing technicians gain real traction in their professional development. This session will discuss how through intentional and purposeful planning, SP technicians will not only be able to reach their goals but have a clear understanding of why they want to achieve them. Get ready to discover how a professional foundation is pivotal to our industry’s success and our patients’ safety!
Sarah B. Cruz is a certified CSPDT, CRCST, CHL, and a #CSSNerd!
As a Quality Education Program Development Coordinator for Central Sterile, she creates and institutes Sterile Processing education programs. Through collaboration with leadership and goal-planning sessions with upper-level management, Sarah creates quality management systems and implements programs to onboard new employees. Develop competencies, create department culture, certify staff, develop LEAN process improvements, and apply industry standards of best practices.
As a Sterile Processing instructor for a local community college, she creates and instructs certification programs designed to help develop sound foundations that new technicians can use in their new Sterile Processing careers.
As the founder and President of PRETREAT CSS, Sarah provides career mentorship and professional development strategies. With objective-driven goal planning and creating real physical indicators of success, Sarah helps Sterile Processing professionals put the CSS in their SUCCESS. Sarah brings the industry to the frontline by speaking and writing and is ready to show the healthcare industry why Sterile Processing is the heart of the hospital!